Pouilly-Vinzelles  2016

LA SOUFRANDIERE

Pouilly-Vinzelles
2016

  • Organic
  • Biodynamic
Product code
737018
Format
6 x 750ml
Listing type
Open
Status
Unavailable
Country
France
Regulated designation
Appellation origine controlée (AOC)
Region
Burgundy
Subregion
Maconnais
Appellation
Pouilly-Vinzelles
Varietal(s)
Chardonnay 100 %
Color
White
Sugar
Dry
Closure type
Cork
Availability
Winery's website

About this winery

Historically Macon was known primarily as a source of vast quantities of cheap white wines made by village cooperatives - reliable everyday wines, but no match for the great whites of the Cote de Beaune. But that was then and this is now, and today Macon's whites are recognized to be among the very best wine values on the planet. The Bret family are relative newcomers as winegrowers in Macon - they have only been at it for three generations. The evolution of their family business, from grape...

See the LA SOUFRANDIERE detail page for more information on this brand

Notes about product

Clay and limestone, very high in red iron oxide on the Bajocian. Facing East and South-East, the Vineyard is 250 meters in altitude with vines between 35 to 50 years old.

Winemaking notes

Hand-picked grapes with whole berry pressing. 70% of the wine is vinified in stainless steel tanks with the other 30% in oak barrels (228 liters each) for 11 months.

Tasting notes

The Pouilly-Vinzelles appellation contrôlée has only 50 ha under vines (123 acres) in comparison to neighbouring Pouilly-Fuissé 750 ha (1850 acres). It goes without saying that this great white Burgundy wine is a full expression of a mature Chardonnay from Southern Mâconnais. The expression of fruit is seductive and full of charm.

Press reviews

Wine Anorak

- 94 points -

Jamie Goode, December 2019

This is more on the slope. Mostly stainless steel. Has lovely spicy, mineral detail. Such finesse with hints of cheese and herbs, and lovely spiciness. Grainy and detailed. 94/100 

See detailed press review
Vinous

- 91 points -

Neal Martin , June 2019

"The 2016 Pouilly-Vinzelles comes from two hectares of 35 to 50-year old vines located on ferrous Bajocian limestone soils. This vintage saw around 20% ageing in used barrel. This is taut and focused on the nose, not intense, but very delineated with light undergrowth scents emerging with time, and traces of orange blossom. The palate is fresh and vibrant on the entry with a superb line of acidity. Orange pith and light peachy notes furnish the finish that has great persistence. There is something immediate and accessible about this Pouilly-Vinzelles, one to broach before upgrading to Les Quarts perhaps? Tasted at Field, Morris & Verdin’s annual tasting in London."

See detailed press review