Mâcon Villages Cuvée Éphémère 2016

BRET BROTHERS

Mâcon Villages Cuvée Éphémère
2016

  • Organic
  • Biodynamic

$37.69*

* Suggested retail price

7 case(s) available

Product code
189076
Format
12 x 750ml
Listing type
Speculative
Status
Available
Country
France
Regulated designation
Appellation origine controlée (AOC)
Region
Burgundy
Subregion
Maconnais
Appellation
Mâcon Villages
Varietal(s)
Chardonnay 100 %
Alcohol percentage
13.5%
Color
White
Sugar
Dry
Closure type
Cork
Winery's website

About this winery

Historically Macon was known primarily as a source of vast quantities of cheap white wines made by village cooperatives – reliable everyday wines, but no match for the great whites of the Cote de Beaune. But that was then and this is now, and today Macon’s whites are recognized to be among the very best wine values on the planet. Jancis Robinson has been saying so for years, and in a recent Wall Street Journal article renowned novelist and wine columnist Jay McInerney declared Domaine de la...

See the BRET BROTHERS detail page for more information on this brand

Notes about product

An assembly of 2 very beautiful plots located in Saint-Albain, situated East with red clay-limestone. The other vineyard in Burgy, is situated North-West and features a stony terrain at altitude of 230 meters.

Winemaking notes

90% of the Cuvée "Ephémère" was vinified in tanks with the other 10% in barrels.

Press reviews

Vinous

- 88 points -

Stephen Tanzer, November 2017

Medium straw-yellow. More serious mineral-driven nose than the Mâcon-Villages Cuvée Terroirs du Mâconnais. Offers flavors of smoky, saline minerality and yellow peach, but lemon and stone notes convey a touch of youthful bitterness, suggesting that this wine will need a year in bottle to knit. But it's still more accessible than the 2014 bottling at the same stage, notes Jean-Philippe Bret. The millerandé 60+-year-old vines in Burgy, on late-ripening stone and iron oxide soil, produced less than 45 hectoliters per hectare (vs. nearly 80 for the Mâcon-Chardonnay). Ephémère, which means fleeting, is also the name for the adult form of an insect that lasts for just one day. The Cuvée Ephémère was envisioned as a one-shot wine in 2015 but the brothers decided to make it in 2016 as well.

See detailed press review